You’re on vacation so calories don’t count – right? – which is why you want to take a taste of Fall River with you when you head out.
A must stop: Portugalia Marketplace, a unique European-themed shopping experience! Here you’ll discover an array of products imported directly from Portugal:
- Hearty bottled wines, and impressive liqueurs
- Fresh desserts – Custard cakes; milk toffees; rich chocolates
- Cheeses – Cured goat cheese, and a variety of soft, hard, and ripened varieties brands
- Pure honey straight from the bee hive & a variety of fruit-flavored jam
- Canned products – Whole green olives; sardines and tinned fish; and more
- Pottery, cookware, and items that make wonderful host/hostess gifts
We suggest you don’t leave Portugalia Marketplace without first checking out the Cod Room! Friendly staff are more than happy to tell you stories of how cod is caught, prepared, and cooked by the locals.
Now, If you want to sample a wider array of international foods, head on over to Daou Market on President Avenue. For over two decades Daou has offered an extensive stock of international foods from Turkey, Greece, Lebanon, India, and more. The best part? Prepared foods are available for take out:
- Grilled meats
- Made-to-order sandwiches
- Mediterranean specialties, such as tabbouleh, hummus and dolmas
- Fresh-baked bread, and an assortment of pastries
While shopping, we recommend you purchase a few unique spices to try. Friendly staff are more than happy to explain how to use the ingredients with different meat and seafood recipes at a later date. Once you check out at the cashier, you can then check out of Fall River too since 195 is a short drive from the market.
Fan of seafood? Packed a cooler? Perfect. Check out Higson’s Seafood Market for a wide variety of the freshest seafood in Southeastern Massachusetts.
- Slabs of Cod Fish – People love cod because of its soft, flaky texture
- Scallops – Known for their slightly sweet taste; tender in texture
- Stuffed Quahogs – Buttery breadcrumb-stuffed clams that taste like summer at the sea
Higson’s also offers cooked seafood platters; plates of fried fish & chips; succulent lobster rolls: hot clam chowder, and more! Pack and save to reheat when you get to your final destination.
Here’s a final thought. Once you revel in the flavors of Fall River, we’re convinced you’ll come back for more. Prediction? You’ll decide to “Take 5 off 195” on your way back home!